Thursday, November 5, 2015

6th Period Genius Hour Presentations

By Kristin B.


Claire hosts a Family Feud game
she created in Keynote.
Genius Hour is an activity where all of us pick a topic that we would like to learn more about and do research on it for the whole class period (50 minutes). We do get graded on how hard we work and focus while doing research. So you don't want to distract others or you won't get a good grade. Later, we had to make a presentation on our iPads. You also get graded on how hard you work. It's pretty much the same as doing research. Don't distract others and work hard.

James and Mason share what they learned about
cutting a watermelon with a rubber band.
I've seen some really good topics, like how to cut open a watermelon with rubber bands, the Mandela effect, and how to make a game show on keynote. Although the reason I liked them a lot was actually not the topic, but the way everybody presented and how good they did. Everyone seemed really interested in their topic and did a great job. Nobody seemed to dislike their topic.
Georgia teaches us about the Mandela effect.



Teachers, I would highly recommend this for your students if you need some project ideas.Try it, and ask them if they liked it or not. I know I really liked doing this, and my classmates said they had a lot of fun also. I'd love to know how much your students liked it!
I talked about the Space Race between
the U.S. and the Soviet Union.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I've wanted to try Genius hour with my class for a while now. What do the students enjoy most about it? What kinds of things are you researching? Do you spend 1 hour a day on it or 1 hour a week? Thanks,
    Mrs. McKelvey
    http://mrsmckelvey.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristen,
    I am from PDS and I liked your post on Genius Hour. I thought it was really cool that students get to choose their own topics and then they share what they learned with the class. I especially liked the way you described the Genius Hour project by your classmates on how to cut a watermelon with a rubber band. Overall, I really enjoyed this post. If you would like, you can come visit my blog. Here is the link: http://shirleys6th.edublogs.org/author/olivia1516/


    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristin,
    You're really good at organizing the information in your story. My class did something like this but we researched our dream jobs, this sounds interesting too. I've never seen a presentation about cutting a watermelon with rubber bands but it sounds pretty funny. If you want you can visit my school's blog here: cougarnewsblog.com
    -Jenevieve

    ReplyDelete